Doctor Who fans, your wait is almost over. EW has learned the premiere date of the new season of the international cult hit, plus some plot details and we have a first look at the show’s marketing art.
BBC America will launch Doctor Who on Saturday, April 23 at 9 p.m ET. That’s Part One of a two-part opener penned by showrunner Steven Moffat (who also did the BBC’s Sherlock reboot — rent it if you’re a Holmes & Watson fan and haven’t seen it yet). This season also includes guest star Mark Sheppard (Supernatural, Battlestar Galactica). Alex Kingston (ER, Flash Forward) is returning for this round too.
+ Episode titles
Set photos and video (with spoilers, obviously)
The premiere description has the Brit team filming in North America for the first time: “The Doctor (Matt Smith), and his companions Amy (Karen Gillan) and Rory (Arthur Darvill), find themselves on a secret summons that takes them on an adventure from the desert in Utah — right to the Oval Office in 1969.”
Doctor Who underwent some changes last season when Moffat took over the lead writing duties on the show and Smith stepped into the starring role. The show jumped to record ratings for BBC America and was a top seller on iTunes behind only AMC’s Mad Men and Fox’s Glee.
Series 6 Titles and Date
The latest issue of Doctor Who Magazine has some new info on Series 6. Here’s some highlights.
* The magazine says the series will start on the Easter weekend (23rd April), as was rumoured.
* The working title for episode 1 was The Year of the Moon, but Steven Moffat was the only one who liked it, so it’s being changed.
* A working title for episode 2 was Look Behind You, but that’s also changing.
* Episode 7 will not be called Demons Run anymore, instead either A Good Man Goes to War or His Darkest Hour.
* Episode 11 is called The God Complex. It’s written by Toby Whithouse and is set in a nightmarish hotel.
* Tom MacRae is the final writer confirmed for the series and he is penning episode 10. He previously wrote Rise of the Cybermen and The Age of Steel from Series 2.
Doctor Who Magazine issue 432 is officially out tomorrow.
11th Doctor’s New Look
Back in January, Matt Smith revealed that there was a costume addition coming for the Doctor in Series 6 of Doctor Who. Now we believe we have our first look at what he was referring to.
During filming for episode 12, Smith was photographed wearing a new dark green coat with his shirt and bow tie combo…
Video of filming for that day. Spoiler warning.
More Filming Pictures
Edited to add this pic from James Corden's Twitter:
And Christopher and His Kind has finally been given an airdate: March 19 on BBC2.
1 2 3 4 5 6 7
I guess this means they're finally airing the episodes on the same day in the UK and US.