'Arrested Development' movie not dead yet, says Jason Bateman

Fans of the beloved late television series "Arrested Development" let out a collective shriek last week when one of the former show's stars, David Cross, said in an interview that a rumored movie based on the show is "just not going to happen."

"I mean, there's so many people involved. Everyone's doing their own thing, you know. And everybody's aged. It's just not going to happen," Cross told TVSquad.com.

Not so fast, says Jason Bateman, who starred in the program as a widower at the center of an eccentric family.

"David says that it's dead, but it's not dead at all," Bateman said in an interview Friday while promoting "The Switch," a romantic comedy out in August in which he costars with Jennifer Aniston. "[Show creator] Mitch Hurwitz is busy shooting a new pilot with Will Arnett, and perhaps when they're done shooting and editing and he's delivered that, perhaps he'll jump into writing the script. Once the script is done, it goes to the studio and they decide if it's a script they want to make, and the actors will decide if they want to be in it."

Which is all to say?

"It's a long process. But it could happen and it's still in everybody's plans for it to happen."

As for Cross' remarks, Bateman thinks his former costar's words may have been blown out of proportion.

"I think he was simply saying, 'Who knows?' He wasn't saying anything definitive, but a lot of people with blogs and whatnot, in the interest of making a splash headline, stretched things a bit."

-- Amy Kaufman


Perhaps David Cross is just a pessimist. But this will they won't they scenario is driving me insane. I need my next Bluth fix!